CBR is the leading pioneer in the modern field of long-acting, reversible contraception (LARCs). At the forefront for more than 65 years, researchers have developed:
- Intrauterine devices (IUDs) such as ParaGard® (the copper-T IUD) and Mirena®
- Implants such as Norplant® and Jadelle®
- Contraceptive vaginal system known as the Annovera® ring
The Population Council also sponsored the clinical trials for Mifepristone® in the United States and secured approval of the product by the US Food and Drug Administration in 2000. More than 170 million people worldwide use contraceptive products developed by CBR or based on our technologies.
Despite significant progress to improve sexual and reproductive health, urgent needs remain unmet. Every day, more than one million people contract sexually transmitted infections (STIs) that can cause cancer or infertility, complicate pregnancies, and increase the risk of infection with HIV. About 1.5 million people every year are newly infected with HIV, which disproportionately affects girls and young women aged 15–24. More than 111 million unplanned pregnancies occur in low- and middle-income countries.
CBR investigates new approaches to prevent HIV and other STIs—developing next-generation contraceptives and innovative multi-purpose prevention technologies (MPTs) to prevent HIV, other STIs and, in some cases, unintended pregnancy in a single product. MPTs—developed as sustained-release formulations in rings, gels, tablets, fast-dissolving inserts and other innovative delivery systems—are designed to be safe, low-cost, and easy to use.
CBR research reflects the Population Council’s unique experience and perspective:
- Biomedical and social science expertise. Deep experience—in reproductive health, HIV and other STIs, basic science research, behavioral science, and public health—guides CBR’s efforts to develop the products that individuals need and will want to use.
- Innovation. Research conducted at CBR labs expands the number of product options to improve sexual and reproductive health worldwide.
- Extensive experience in regulatory and health systems management, and in product introduction and social marketing ensures that the advances developed in our labs are available to the people who need them the most.
- Proven success record. The Council has seven FDA-approved products and numerous FDA applications and patents.
Download our CBR fact sheet.